Asthma patients are those who experience wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, and tightness in the chest. This can be a hereditary problem or can be caused due to an allergic trigger or during exercise. Whatever be the cause, asthma is a serious problem and can affect the quality of your life if not treated on time. There are two types of asthma treatments in India: long term medications and quick relief medications. Doctors usually suggest both these medications for controlling asthma attacks effectively./p>
Treatments for Asthma
Asthma is a disease that causes breathing difficulty due to the presence of swollen or inflamed airways which makes it difficult for the air to travel back and forth from the lungs. You may have it since childhood or due to some allergic reaction to dust, smoke, gases, fumes, etc. Exercise can also trigger this condition. The problem is that asthma is an incurable disease. But this does not mean that asthma cannot be controlled. With the right treatment, you can prevent regular asthma attacks and lead a normal, active life.
Long term medications: Inhaled corticosteroids are the most commonly used medication for adult and child asthma treatment in Pune, Mumbai and almost all parts in India. These have to be taken on a daily basis; the dosage is determined by the doctor. Here are some things that you should know about using inhaled corticosteroids.
- This medication contains ingredients like ciclesonide, budesonide, mometasone, fluticasone, beclomethasone, etc.
- When inhaled, it helps in treating the swollen and inflamed lungs, preventing asthma attacks.
- It is not something that can be taken when you get an asthma attack. This has to be taken regularly, for a long time to have complete control on your asthma symptoms.
- Although the asthma medication is available in pill and liquid form, the inhaler is the safest method of taking this medicine. The former can cause severe side effects if used for a long time.
- Prolong use of inhaled corticosteroids can sometimes cause thrush. However, this can be prevented by rinsing the mouth after the using the inhaler. Using a spacer or holding chamber on your inhaler can also prevent the problem of thrush.
Apart from inhaled corticosteroids, there are several other long term medications that can help to control the problem of asthma. These include leukotriene modifiers, cromolyn, omalizumab, etc. The doctor would suggest you the medicines as per the severity of your condition. While the asthma medicines have to be used for a long time, the dosage may be altered by the doctor from time to time as per the improvement in your condition.
Quick relief medications: Even if you are taking your long term medications regularly, there may be situations when you get an asthma attack. As this happens suddenly and without any warning, it is extremely important to be prepared. One of the most commonly prescribed quick relief medications for asthma treatment is inhaled short-acting beta2-agonists. These medications focus on reducing the symptoms and not on treating the actual problem. When inhaled, the inhaler helps to reduce the tightness of the muscles near the airways and opens them up, thus enabling the air to flow smoothly. This medicine can be taken as long as the problem persists. Nevertheless, it is not advisable to use it for more than two weeks.
Asthma treatment in Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, etc. should be taken only after consulting a doctor Mohan K T. If signs like wheezing and excessive coughing are seen in children, consult an immunologist or allergist immediately. Nevertheless, one must remember that asthma should not stop your life. Follow the instructions of your doctor to lead a healthy and normal life.